At Georgetown we understand the ecological model of healthy living – that, although healthy lifestyles require self-responsibility, one’s environment strongly impacts what people do. The HLL Scholars program enables select students to gain experience in health promotion and leadership that will add further value to their exceptional Georgetown College liberal arts education.
Applications are due by February 1st, and the interview will be on February 16th, 2018, for invited students.
Who should apply?
The HLL Scholars program is ideal for students pursuing allied health fields in which health promotion is a cornerstone. These fields include physical and occupational therapy, physician assistant, athletic training, nursing, wellness and public health, personal training, and strength coaching. The Georgetown College KHS department is recognized for excellence by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).
“Georgetown's Kinesiology department is second to none. The KHS professors have all walked the walk in the health and fitness field and teach you how to apply the degree you're getting.”
Sean Kratchman, 2015
What are the benefits?
- Attend guest lectures by speakers in their field
- Go on field trips to local graduate programs of interest
- Meet professionals in their areas of interest to expand their professional network
What are the admission requirements?
- Apply by February 1st
- Optional letter of recommendation
- Interview on February 16th at Georgetown Scholars Day (if invited)
What are the requirements of the program?
- Maintain active and ongoing membership in the Kinesiology and Health Studies (KHS) or Athletic Training (AT) Club, student-led organizations which provide leadership, experiential learning, and networking opportunities
- Complete a 3-hour internship as part of the coursework required for the major. AT students will complete a Volunteer Clinical Experience. The KHS department has established sites for all careers so that HLL scholars
canearn college credit while building their professional resumes
- Sign and honor the HLL Scholars Healthy Living Pledge in which they agree to complete the academic requirements and serve as role models of physical, mental, and spiritual health