The Health Scholars Program is the perfect preparation for students interested in a health-related career! Along with providing a community of like-minded students, Health Scholars will give you important professional experiences and the skills and preparation that you need to succeed in any form of post-graduate health program. Our graduates are well-prepared and highly successful in everything from Medicine to small and large animal Veterinary practices, Physical Therapy, and Healthcare Administration.
For due dates and a list of other programs of distinction, click here.
Who should apply?
If you are interested in or considering a career in any of the following health or health-related careers:
- Veterinary Medicine
- Physician’s Assistant
- Physical Therapy
- Graduate school in a health-related field
- Healthcare Administration
“This is an amazing program, and to anyone wanting to get an incredible education--look no further. There is a reason that Georgetown produces so many PhD, DVM, MD, DO, MS, RN, and APRN professionals--they help you become the best you and the best scientist that you can be.”
Dr. Brian Chaffin, D.O., '13, Internal Medicine Resident at Bowling Green Medical Center
What are the benefits?
- Shadowing opportunities through our Preceptorship program
- Tours of medical/dental schools
- Tours of local veterinary hospitals
- Medical mission trips
- Networking opportunities with alumni who are currently in professional school
- Volunteer opportunities
- Assigned a pre-health/health care administration advisor
- Freshmen seminar section dedicated to those enrolled in the program
- Summer research opportunities
"Without the Georgetown College biology department, I wouldn't have had the courage or the knowledge to get into Optometry school. I couldn't have been more prepared for my entrance exam, and my incredible professors are to thank for that!"
Hayley Hamman Childers, 2016
What are the admission requirements?
- High School GPA of 3.2
- Composite ACT 22
- Two letters of recommendation
- Essay explaining why you want to pursue a career in the health sciences
- Interview at Georgetown Scholars Day (if invited)
What are the requirements of the program?
- Maintain an overall GPA of 2.75
- Attend at least 2 activities/semester. These may include but are not limited to attending a Pre-Health Association meeting, volunteering at a mission clinic, touring a professional school, and/or attending a presentation
- Scholars must complete a Preceptorship/Internship/Research opportunity by the fall of their senior year